Tuesday, September 26, 2017

SHADOW








The wind was warm upon my skin. I dug my toes into the sand as we sat enjoying the sunset. We laughed when a soft-shell crab run up my leg then realized its error and leapt off my knee to the sand below. Something about that was funny, something about that remains in the tingling of my skin. I reached out my hand and gently placed it over hers, in that cool spot where the sun’s fire is kept at bay. I let it linger there, let myself enjoy this brief touch. Then the sun broke through the horizon and disappeared to a place my eyes could not follow. I felt her leave me then, felt her slip into the earth at that same moment. But this was not uncommon, she abandoned me every sunset. This great companion, this shadow of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment